Born May 21, 1955.
After about 3 years of primary school, studies in the science subjects
at an upper secondary school (senior high school), and university
studies in mathematics by correspondence, I was formally
admitted to the University of Gothenburg in January 1968 and to
Uppsala University in September 1968.
I obtained the following degrees at Uppsala University.
- B.A., February 2, 1970
- Ph.D. in mathematics, May 21, 1977
- Ph.D. in mathematical statistics, April 14, 1984
- Sparre's prize (KVA) 1978
- Göran Gustafsson prize 1992
- Eva och Lars Gårding's prize (Kungl. Fysiografiska sällskapet i
- Wallenberg Scholar 2011
1992-1995 funded by an award
(the Göran Gustafsson prize)
Göran Gustafsson Foundation for Research in Natural Sciences and
September 1978 - May 1980, postdoc, Institut Mittag-Leffler.
July 1980 - June 1984, various positions at Uppsala University.
October 1980 - March 1981, visiting assistant professor,
University of Chicago.
- July 1984 - June 1985, docent, University of Stockholm.
- July 1985 - June 1987, professor of mathematical statistics, Uppsala
- July 1987 - , professor of mathematics, Uppsala. (Permanent from October
Visits abroad of at least one month
- Paris (Orsay), France, October 1974
- University of Chicago, USA, October 1980 - March 1981
- Paris (Jussieu), France, October 1981
- Technion, Haifa, Israel, February 1982
- University of Chicago, USA, April 1985
- MSRI, Berkeley, USA, February 1988
- IMA, Minneapolis, USA, September - November 1993
- Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge, England, August 2002
- Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin, Versailles,
France, September 2003
- University of Cambridge, England, April - May 2004
- University of Cambridge, England, April - July 2007
- Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge, England, January and March 2008
- University of Cambridge, England, June - July 2013
I have written
four books and about three hundred
papers, see separate list.
I have had a number of
both in mathematics and in mathematical statistics.
So far, 12 of them have completed their Ph.D.
Member of the
Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
Kungl. Vetenskaps-Societeten i Uppsala
(Societas regia scientiarum Upsaliensis).
Churchill College, Cambridge, Easter Term 2004.
Visiting Fellow Commoner,
Trinity College, Cambridge, Easter Term 2007.
- Member of the editorial board for
- Random Structures & Algorithms, 1989 - present.
- Advances and Journal of Applied Probability,
1990 - 2008.
- Organizer (with Jaak Peetre) of the program in Operator Theory
and Complex Analysis at Institut Mittag-Leffler 1990-91.
- Organizer (with Sven Erick Alm, Olle Häggström, Kurt Johansson,
Jeff Steif) of the program in Discrete Probability at Institut
Mittag-Leffler spring 2009.
Member of the
Equal Opportunity Committee of Uppsala university 1998-2000.
Member of the
promotion committee of the Faculty of Science and Technology 1999-2002.
Deputy chairman of the mathematics department 2002-2006.